Thursday, March 22, 2012

Back with a Salad!

Well, I guess it's time for me to return from my extremely long hibernation and start food-blogging again. So, here I am! Back with a bang! Err, Salad, I mean. ;)

Recently my father was diagnosed with a heart problem and after that, he had to stop being my partner in crime (of eating all the rich food that I make) and monitor his dietary habits. Plus, I was busy and my mother never favoured my sometimes too extravagant, sometimes too creepy-looking, sometimes too smelly, sometimes just wrong cooking. As a result, my culinary experiments came to a screeching halt for about 2-3 months. But, yesterday, I decided enough was enough. It may be her kitchen but she can't take away my guest visit rights forever!
So, I chalked out a health-food menu, which my father can have and which will tantalize my deprived taste-buds as well: Ratatouille with rice and a nice salad.

Rataouille recipe will follow at some point. But this salad - basically just a mix of all the fresh vegetables I had at hand - was so good, I actually regretted having cooked anything else at all! The colours and flavours blend so well that they leave you with a picture of a very inviting and a very healthy dish.


Preparation time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 people (if served as an accompaniment and 1 person if it's for lunch and you're like me.)

Ingredients:

10-15 purple cabbage leaves, shredded
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
7-8 broccoli florets, steamed for 3-4 minutes
1 small tomato
a handful sweet corn, boiled until soft
10-12 peanuts, roasted (optional - I added them after my father had served himself)
2 tbsp flax seeds, roasted
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

  • Toss all the fresh vegetables (after treating them the way they have been described above), peanuts and flax seeds in a big salad bowl.
  • Just before serving, drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on it. 
  • Toss well. (Click pictures. :P) Serve immediately.
Stay healthy, stay happy! Let me know how you used this recipe, how it turned out and what variations you used. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment